5 great reasons to move your office space around
Have you ever considered how a good office tidy up could benefit you and your colleagues (or just you if you work from home)?
How it could literally ‘mix things up’?
Here are 5 ways that tidying up and moving things around in your office space can benefit you:
- It moves energy around – you know that pile of papers in the corner that you keep meaning to sort through? The pile that’s holding that file that you can’t lay your hands on hostage? By moving the pile, you’re moving the energy around. And corners can really harbour stale air that gets ‘stuck’.
- It results in a good clean – when you’re moving things around, you inevitably have to give the space a good clean. Not just the gap that you’ve moved the pile of files from but the surrounding area too. When was the last time you actually cleaned your desk anyway? It’s an obvious thing to say that cleaning gets rid of dirt and bacteria but it’s true!
- A clean can also mean a de-clutter – from going through that pile of files to sorting through rough notes that can be binned, a de-clutter is good for the soul and the mind. I also have a salt lamp in my home office to help with this.
- It can highlight hazards – there are many hazards in an office, as this graphic from the Accident Advice Helpline illustrates. How many did you spot?
- A break from routine – a good clear up means a break from your routine which can help you to get the creativity flowing. Which can often by just the boost you need and can increase productivity!
So, if you work for someone else, approach your boss and show them the benefits of a good office tidy up… tell them I sent you! You could even suggest some lunchtime yoga to de-stress and refocus.
And if you’re the boss, what are you waiting for? See the benefits and get to it!